You’ve got the vision for custom-built software, now all you need is the right developer to help make your vision a reality. However, there are dozens of different types of software developers, each with varying skill sets and price ranges. How do you sift through all these different types and get the right one for your project? Here are the main things you need to consider:
- Your Team – The first thing you need to consider is team composition. Do you have an existing development team, or are you just starting to build one? What specific skills do each of your team members need to possess, and how will they be working together? Consider the role each of your developers will have to take on. Also, you should be well aware of your current team’s dynamics and culture. Consider not just the skills, but the temperament and personality of any new developer joining your team, and if they will mesh well with your current team.
- The Scale and Scope of the Project – Different software development projects require developers of different skill sets and levels of expertise. The bigger the scale of the project, the more developers you will most likely need. The complexity of the project will also affect the type of developer you will require. If your project will work with only existing templates, minimal programming languages and other technologies, then you will probably only need a junior to mid-level developer. These types of developers have from a year to around 5 years of experience. If however, your project requires building a customized solution from the ground up utilizing various technologies, you will need senior developers with specialized skills. Senior developers are those with more than 5 years of experience, and have extensive knowledge and experience on numerous programming languages and other technologies.
- Project Lifecycle – How far along are you with your project, or are you just about to start? If your project is already underway, you will need a developer that is more experienced in working with existing teams and has a more flexible skill set and process. That way, you can be assured that their introduction into your existing team will be seamless and productive rather than disruptive. Also, do you need team members that can help you scale your business, and be with you in the long run? CoDev can help you add team members that will help your business grow and be with you long term to ensure your project or product is well-maintained. We can provide you with qualified developers as well as Quality Assurance and Technical Support Representatives to help with your project from start to finish.
- User/ Customer Feedback – Your users and/or customers are bound to have feedback regarding your software product. Their feedback can help determine what features you need to add or improve, and consequently, what kind of developer you need on your team, whether it be front end, back end, etc.
- Training Bandwidth – Do you have the capacity and resources to train and/or assist your dev team, or do you prefer a more skilled and self-sufficient team that needs only simple direction to get the job done? If you want to be more involved with your dev team and are able to offer training and guidance, a team of junior to mid-level developers will be enough to get the job done. A team composed of more senior developers however, will certainly need a lot less training and handholding, but will cost more. Speaking of which–
- Budget – Most companies have a set budget for the year, which can limit your selection of developers to include in your team. CoDev is experienced in building international dev teams for businesses of various sizes and financial capacities. We can help you create the dev team that you need within your budget, without compromising quality or your skill requirements.
Having a bigger dev team and/or high level developers are likely to increase the overall cost of your software development project. But if that’s what it takes to see your app through not only to completion but also to long-term success, then it is a worthwhile investment. To learn more about how to build your ideal dev team within your budget, get in touch with CoDev now. CoDev has been providing international tech talent to customers for over 12 years. We always have a number of different types of software developers available to work immediately, as well as an expansive talent pool for finding your ideal development talent. No matter what phase of project development you’re currently in, we can help you grow and retain top dev talent that can help your business scale. Talk to one of our friendly representatives today!